Knights of Columbus, St. Michael’s Council 11632 – This is What We Do
St. Michael’s Council is a very active organization, with a wide range of activities and events. Whether fundraising for a charity, sponsoring youth and scouting events, or building fellowship, our Knights are having fun! Here are some examples of what we do:
- The Annual Spirit-of-the-4th Pancake Breakfast, in cooperation with our brother’s from San Rafael. This big event at Webb Park is well attended by our community. Scores of K of C volunteers from both councils combine efforts to serve 500 breakfast meals, raising thousands of dollars to benefit local veterans.
- MR/ID Drive: Annual fundraiser for people with mental retardation or intellectual disabilities.
St. Michael’s School Fundraising Events:
- Swing for the Kids Golf Classic: The Knights support this, one of the largest annual fundraisers for St. Michaels School, now in its 20th year. Proceeds go to the school to be used for technology upgrades in the classrooms, such as computers, LCD projectors, smart-boards, and WiFi.
- Annual St. Michael’s Fall Festival: The whole parish turns out for this annual festival with games, talent shows, and food. The Knights host the always-popular Italian food booth, providing pizza, meatball sandwiches, and pasta dishes. Proceeds benefit St. Michael’s Parish.
St. Michael’s K of C Council 11632 organizes and sponsors many annual youth activities, including:
- Annual Youth Free Throw Contest: All boys and girls ages 10-14 are invited to participate in the local level of competition of the 2012 K of C Free Throw Championship, in St. Michael’s Parish Hall. Winners in each age group progress through local, district and state competitions. All contestants are recognized for their participation in the event.
- Essay Contest: Annual event for the children at St. Michael’s School. Cash prizes are awarded to the children with the best essays on subjects that emphasize their Catholic faith.
- Annual Altar Server Appreciation Dinner
- Every year, the KofC Council Hall is transformed into St. Nic’s shop, where the kids at St. Michael’s do their Christmas gift shopping.
Boy Scout, Cub Scout Charters:
- St. Michael’s K of C is the chartering organization for Pack 654 Cub Scouts, and Troop 654 Boy Scouts. Our council also supports the San Diego-Imperial Council of the Boy Scouts of America with sponsorship at the annual Eagle Scout Recognition Dinner.
- The Annual February Crabfest raises funds for Scouts, as well as other youth ministries at St. Michael’s Parish.
Parish Service Projects and Parish Assistance:
- Several Blood Drive and Pancake breakfasts are held on the patio of St. Michael’s Church, annually. These build the sense of community within the parish, and welcome new parishioners. Breakfast proceeds support local charities, including the widows of SEAL Team 6.
- Lenten Fish Bakes: All through the Lenten season, these popular fish bakes are a great opportunity for parish socializing, and an important fundraiser. Fish bakes are held in the new Holy Family Center, and include live dinner music and short KofC video featurettes.
- Pro-life events, including Walk for Life, Culture of Life Campaign, 40 Days for Life. Calendar sales raise money that is donated for the purchase of ultrasound machines.
- Christmas Card sales– “Keep Christ in Christmas”
Community Service Activities:
- Electronic waste recycling and document shredding events provide a useful service while raising funds to support our charities.
- Our Annual Flag Retirement ceremony is a colorful and impressive event, attended by the entire St. Michael’s student body.
- Clergy Appreciation Dinner: a great opportunity to express our appreciation for our local clergy.
- Financial assistance for local seminarians.
- St. Michael’s Vocations Night
- “Knight’s Out” family events, including annual Christmas Party, Day at the Races, Padres ball games, and potluck dinners.
- Annual Knights’ Corporate Communion, honoring our deceased brother Knights.
- 365 club: California Columbian Charities for the purpose of helping brother Knights who are in financial distress.
- Monthly general membership meetings (1st Wednesdays), with snacks and fellowship before and after the meeting.